Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Storage Beds Are The Future!

As many of my readers will know, I have an alter ego! I have an interior design and home staging business too.

My organising passion links in really well with this as decluttering is key to a home looking great – and great storage is a must for a functional and practical home. In fact, storage is the place where my clients really want to look at getting great style and function from everything that we add into their home.

I believe that storage must work hard to be in a home, and that it works best when its making an existing peice of furniture multi functional as this saves space as well. I have talked before about purchasing furniture that has built in storage – and the storage bed is my idea of the best!

I don’t know about you (I can guess though!) – but I used to be so sick of having to be a contortionist and do that funny commando crawl to get to one last lone box from under the bed, only to find when I managed to get out (crawling backwards is HARD!), a layer of dust that had been quite happy to be forgotten about completely over the years had managed to migrate all over my clothes…. yuck!

Lets face it – under the bed is definately one of those areas that doesn’t get a weekly clean from most people! (in my house the beds are lucky to see a hoover annually….. I confess!)

And when we needed to replace our bed (note to self, jumping on a bed that has pine slats under the mattress probably isn’t going to increase the life span of the bed!!!! – even if it is fun!) I started on a mission to find something that looked good, but stopped the frustrating things that I was getting simply tired of.

And thats when I found the storage bed.

Here are the main reasons why I love storage beds so much:-

When I first changed beds to a storage bed, the stuff I had under my old bed (which filled it completely) only filled about a quarter of the new space!

I like to store bedding, out of season clothes etc…. – and guests don’t have to see everything!

Master bedrooms work well as some storage beds can be quite high up which gives the bed more prominence in the room, and also then gives more storage (again great for out of season clothes)

They are a great hidden place when you have small children as you can hide presents etc… from little eyes! Mydaughter has only just found out about our storage bed, and it will be a long while before she can open it herself (shes 3).

They stop you having to have a large cupboard or chest of drawers in the room – thus freeing space and helping you to become more visually clutter free

They are MUCH easier to get hold of things that you have stored there.

A lot of beds have a mechanism that lifts the mattress with minimal effort from you – and you can choose whether you want a bed thats hinged from the side or the headboard.

Stops everything getting dusty as the space is fully sealed when you close it.

Here are some key things to look for when you are buying a storage bed – and worth considering whether you need them or whether you can get a cheaper bed that does what you want instead.

How much storage do you want? Look at the height of the base as some are a lot shallower than others, and if you want to storae suitcases etc… you want to ensure they will fit.Some beds have a base and can be on feet – which I personally prefer – but others have a simple layer of fabric that goes on the floor. The former is more expensive, but gives a better finish.You can get leather finish beds with headboards, which are more common in the cheaper price brackets – but you can also get fabric finished beds which you can match to your decor.Because you have hidden storage, then they are quite secure for your stuff – and some makers take this one step further and give you options like having a safe in the bed. This makes sense to me if you have jewellery that you aren’t taking on holiday – as its less likely to be found here than in many other places. This can go one step further as some have locks so that the mechanism is shut tight until you want to open it (useful for storing presents as well!)Because the bed lifts to allow access to storage, make sure you have the height space in the room – i.e. there are no lights that will get hit.

This is from THE STORAGE BED online company – and I have chosen this as its my own bed – so I can persoanlly vouch for its ease of use, deep storage size, and choice of fabrics. I simply LOVE it! There are so many different options that you can really make the bed exactly what you want and need. Perfect!

This is a great bed – and I have it in my guest bedroom now (a new purchase as I loved our other so much!). Its a cost effective option, and we chose this as we didn’t need as much storage in this room – but its a relatively small room so made sense to create extra storage too. I particularly like the leather finish and the headboard looks really great in both traditional and contemporary designed rooms. (click on pciture for more details)

I have come across this bed on my searches for the best out there, and LOVE it for its multi uses! Not only is it a great storage bed, but it also has a TV mechanism so that can be hidden away when not watching as well – all you need is a fridge and a coffee maker and you wouldn’t have to leave!

This bed from John Lewis is simply stunning. It has a gorgeous feel to it and is available in 3 different colours. I love the fact that it looks good as well as being practical.

This is a Tempur bed and is available from Heals. I particularly love the high headboard as this would be stunning in a master bedroom.

Well, frankly – most bedrooms would benefit from a storage bed. It just makes sense really!

I love to use them in childrens rooms to store clothes and bulky toys that aren’t needed on a daily basis.

As already said, Master bedrooms and guest bedrooms work so well as they can always do with extra storage.

They work really well in flats as they maximise the space and minimise the need for other furniture.

I hope that this post has helped you with deciding on what bed would suit you, and whether a storage bed is the way forward for your bedroom! I think so, and wouldn’t choose another bed now – and I look forward to hearing your perspective on this – feel free to leave your reviews and opinions below….


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment